Friday 13 April 2012

Girls Do it Better!

Calvin Klein. Alexander McQueen. Roberto Cavalli. These are a few of the couture fashion houses that have been dressing us for the last several decades. No one can argue that these leading men knew how to dress women, and they knew how to do it really well, but there seems to be a shift occurring in fashion industry, we are hailing the return of women designing for the ultra feminine and irresistibly potent sex. And if you ask me, it's about time!

Don't get me wrong, there isn't too much that can top the feeling of slipping into a sultry Roberto Cavalli dress, that is, until I strut around in anything designed by Fridda Giannini or my personal favourite, Diane Von Furstenberg. Ever since I can remember, I could never understand why it was that men repeatedly dominated the world of fashion. I always understood that there was little or no place for feminism in its political form, because fashion and all those involved continuously break the rules of feminism. But wouldn't women know how to dress the female body better? What does a man know about how a woman feels at any point in her day, and how her personal style is often a direct reflection of what she thinks of herself?

The answer was simple. Men dressed us in what they thought we should be wearing, and women complied. They made beautiful garments, that made us feel sexy, and we bought into the fantasy life they were selling us, hook, line and sinker! But since Coco Chanel arrived on the scene in the 1920's with the iconic "Little Black Dress", it's been clear to me, that women know what women want. I've been falling back in love with female designers for the last five years now, and I don't know if I can ever turn back. From Kate Middleton's Sarah Burton (for Alexander McQueen) wedding gown, to Stella McCartney's lace "optical illusion" prints, if you happen to be a woman learning how to become a fashion designer in the near future, you couldn't have jumped in at a more exciting time!

No comments:

Post a Comment